So it is offically your 1st birthday, 12:03am as I type this. I just finished the cupcakes for your party tomorrow. Yeah! You actually were brand spanking new into the world this time tomorrow morning....you were born on 2/28 at 11:55 and 11:58 pm. That will be a story for another day how mommy avoided the dreaded leap year babies with a few good pushes and that was quite a challenge since you were breech Belle. But all worked out and my two beautiful girls share a birthday on the 28th. So as you both and daddy have been fast asleep for hours I can take a few moments before I tuck in too for the night to reflect on this past year with your birthday letter.
Dear Ava and Isabelle,
Happy 1st Birthday! Wow, the year feels like it was on fast forward. You have grown so much and developed such unique personalities in such a short amount of time. We had so many firsts that were all so special each day as they occurred but seem like such common place now. For instance, your first tooth and now you both have 6 teeth and a few more on the way! First time you sat up by yourself or crawled. It seemed like we wanted to rush those things at the time but now part of me is sad to see you so grown up. Can you imagine me in 17 years? Heck not even then, can you imagine the sobs that are going to occur when you go to school? Get the mop and bucket ready now. Honestly, it is not that I don’t want you to grow up and experience new things because I do. I actually am pretty laxed with you and often let you try things that grandma and grandpa would shake their head at just to give you new experiences. I guess part of me just wants to soak it all up and it all just happens so fast. You are both so precious to me and bring me a tremendous amount of joy. I love to live life through your eyes! To see how you view the world, the beauty in you experiencing something for the first time, your joy of figuring out how to do something new and the love that you give me when all you want to do is snuggle with me.
People often say to your dad and I how sorry they are for us for having twins. We just shake our heads and tell them that we wouldn’t want it any other way. You honestly have been such easy children. Knock on wood because you know your future brother or sister will probably now make up for those words and give us one heck of a ride! You fed at the same times, you slept through the night at 3 months, you play together and independently and you are just good natured children. I’d love to say that has something to do with how we raised you thus far but I think it is just you. Don’t get me wrong, you have your moments of screaming fits and occasionally wake up at 2am but that is the exception to the rule. We are blessed and I realize that every day!
Ava, My little firecracker. You have such energy and love for exploring! People worried about my little Ava when you were in the NICU but not me, you were a fighter since day 1. You have such a strong will and curious nature that nothing stops you. There is nothing cuter than your face when you give us a sheepish grin when you are caught in the act. You know how to play a crowd my dear and they boys are going to be putty in your hands! Play hard should be your motto since you go hard and strong all day! However, everyone knows when you are tired because you crawl up into your chair or someone’s lap and suck your thumb. That is your only down time. When you go to bed, you are exhausted most times. We don’t hear a peep because you are ready. You even crawl over to the gate by the kitchen some nights as if to say bring me up to bed I am done playing. But when you are up, you don’t miss a beat. A door left open, your one it! This is no surprise since you were my active one in my belly! Always felt baby A’s kicks! Lastly, I have to mention that you truly are the big sister in character. You always go to the side of the crib next to Isabelle when she is crying as if to say “don’t worry I’m here.” You typically are more social and interactive with her and crawl to play with her often. Although you are no angel since you steal her food right out of her fingers sometimes or crawl right over her (yes I mean right over her)!
Isabelle, You are my bella bella ballerina! We’ve called you that from day 1 and now I finally got you in the tutu to match. Between your constant splits and our utter amazement at your flexibility it just seems to suit you. What cracks me up the most about you Belle is your laugh. It is this deep down hearty laugh. You chuckle most times over nothing; just because everyone else in the room is laughing and you want to join in. You can go from crying second to laughter the next without missing a beat and that makes you my diva! You are also more of a snuggler. You have been since day 1. You like to be rocked to sleep sometimes or to snuggle in the big bed with mom and dad. You also hum yourself to sleep sometimes. Which leads me to my last though, these days you are more and more vocal. You tend to hold entire conversations with us in your own little words. Or turn the pages of a book speaking your own words. I swear sometimes I think you actually get a word out too. The other day it sounded like you repeated “all gone” to me.
I see bits and pieces of both of you in me and your dad. You are a true combination of us. Neither one of us is perfect so it is great to see that you get a combination of us. Ava you have my sense of curiosity and on the go demeanor and your dad’s sense of not letting anything upset you too much. Isabelle you now what you want and put your mind to getting it and can be a little moody at times till you get it….a girl on a mission….that’s from me. On the flip side, most times you are pretty content just relaxing in one spot and not caring what is going around you which is your dad! Again, which does not surprise me since I NEVER felt you in my belly. I always said to the doctor I can’t feel baby B. They would check and you were fine. Always in the same position laying across the top of my belly. Just chillin!
Over the next year, I know you’ll continue to amaze me as you conquer new skills. I will do my best to solve whatever obstacles you face without taking away those experiences. My first instinct as a mom is soothe the cry, fix the issue and make you happy but that is not what life is about sometimes. You are amazingly beautiful and smart little girls who can and will figure it all out in due time. May those life lessons be forever rewarding! This past year has been happier than your dad and I could have ever imagined life could be so thank you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and year to come!
Love Always,
Mommy
Happy 1st Birthday! Wow, the year feels like it was on fast forward. You have grown so much and developed such unique personalities in such a short amount of time. We had so many firsts that were all so special each day as they occurred but seem like such common place now. For instance, your first tooth and now you both have 6 teeth and a few more on the way! First time you sat up by yourself or crawled. It seemed like we wanted to rush those things at the time but now part of me is sad to see you so grown up. Can you imagine me in 17 years? Heck not even then, can you imagine the sobs that are going to occur when you go to school? Get the mop and bucket ready now. Honestly, it is not that I don’t want you to grow up and experience new things because I do. I actually am pretty laxed with you and often let you try things that grandma and grandpa would shake their head at just to give you new experiences. I guess part of me just wants to soak it all up and it all just happens so fast. You are both so precious to me and bring me a tremendous amount of joy. I love to live life through your eyes! To see how you view the world, the beauty in you experiencing something for the first time, your joy of figuring out how to do something new and the love that you give me when all you want to do is snuggle with me.
People often say to your dad and I how sorry they are for us for having twins. We just shake our heads and tell them that we wouldn’t want it any other way. You honestly have been such easy children. Knock on wood because you know your future brother or sister will probably now make up for those words and give us one heck of a ride! You fed at the same times, you slept through the night at 3 months, you play together and independently and you are just good natured children. I’d love to say that has something to do with how we raised you thus far but I think it is just you. Don’t get me wrong, you have your moments of screaming fits and occasionally wake up at 2am but that is the exception to the rule. We are blessed and I realize that every day!
Ava, My little firecracker. You have such energy and love for exploring! People worried about my little Ava when you were in the NICU but not me, you were a fighter since day 1. You have such a strong will and curious nature that nothing stops you. There is nothing cuter than your face when you give us a sheepish grin when you are caught in the act. You know how to play a crowd my dear and they boys are going to be putty in your hands! Play hard should be your motto since you go hard and strong all day! However, everyone knows when you are tired because you crawl up into your chair or someone’s lap and suck your thumb. That is your only down time. When you go to bed, you are exhausted most times. We don’t hear a peep because you are ready. You even crawl over to the gate by the kitchen some nights as if to say bring me up to bed I am done playing. But when you are up, you don’t miss a beat. A door left open, your one it! This is no surprise since you were my active one in my belly! Always felt baby A’s kicks! Lastly, I have to mention that you truly are the big sister in character. You always go to the side of the crib next to Isabelle when she is crying as if to say “don’t worry I’m here.” You typically are more social and interactive with her and crawl to play with her often. Although you are no angel since you steal her food right out of her fingers sometimes or crawl right over her (yes I mean right over her)!
Isabelle, You are my bella bella ballerina! We’ve called you that from day 1 and now I finally got you in the tutu to match. Between your constant splits and our utter amazement at your flexibility it just seems to suit you. What cracks me up the most about you Belle is your laugh. It is this deep down hearty laugh. You chuckle most times over nothing; just because everyone else in the room is laughing and you want to join in. You can go from crying second to laughter the next without missing a beat and that makes you my diva! You are also more of a snuggler. You have been since day 1. You like to be rocked to sleep sometimes or to snuggle in the big bed with mom and dad. You also hum yourself to sleep sometimes. Which leads me to my last though, these days you are more and more vocal. You tend to hold entire conversations with us in your own little words. Or turn the pages of a book speaking your own words. I swear sometimes I think you actually get a word out too. The other day it sounded like you repeated “all gone” to me.
I see bits and pieces of both of you in me and your dad. You are a true combination of us. Neither one of us is perfect so it is great to see that you get a combination of us. Ava you have my sense of curiosity and on the go demeanor and your dad’s sense of not letting anything upset you too much. Isabelle you now what you want and put your mind to getting it and can be a little moody at times till you get it….a girl on a mission….that’s from me. On the flip side, most times you are pretty content just relaxing in one spot and not caring what is going around you which is your dad! Again, which does not surprise me since I NEVER felt you in my belly. I always said to the doctor I can’t feel baby B. They would check and you were fine. Always in the same position laying across the top of my belly. Just chillin!
Over the next year, I know you’ll continue to amaze me as you conquer new skills. I will do my best to solve whatever obstacles you face without taking away those experiences. My first instinct as a mom is soothe the cry, fix the issue and make you happy but that is not what life is about sometimes. You are amazingly beautiful and smart little girls who can and will figure it all out in due time. May those life lessons be forever rewarding! This past year has been happier than your dad and I could have ever imagined life could be so thank you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and year to come!
Love Always,
Mommy