So a few weeks ago I went to this baby sign language course at the local school for about 2 hrs which teaches you how to start your children on signing. Of course, I was amazed about the wonders they fill your head with that signing can produce. So for the next 2 days I did the 3 signs they tell you to start off with over and over as I could weave them into the day. They were milk, eat and more. I even went as far as to sign up for the baby sign language course at Tumbling Tykes and we have been to only 1 of those classes so far (although to be honest with 8 kids in the class it is more crawling around time than signing time since none of the kids are focusing on the 1 instructor as she tries to teach multiple signs in one class.) Since I knew they were not getting much if anything out of the class, I kinda dropped it at home due to lack of time and the fact that I am not there all day to reinforce the signs over and over and that is how it is supposed to work....reinforcement and consistency. However, to my surprise I got a phone call from Grandma Kees this morning saying that Ava just signed milk. Grandma knew this because Ava was being fussy and started to do the sign for milk and Grandma realized oops she had forgotten to give her milk before going straight to her breakfast. So Ava kept her on track on a Monday morning by telling her what she wanted! Crazy to think she picked that up so quickly and not only remembered it but realized when to use it. Go Miss Ava! Now if we teach her the word cookie, we are going to be in trouble :)
Monday, May 18, 2009
Milk?
So a few weeks ago I went to this baby sign language course at the local school for about 2 hrs which teaches you how to start your children on signing. Of course, I was amazed about the wonders they fill your head with that signing can produce. So for the next 2 days I did the 3 signs they tell you to start off with over and over as I could weave them into the day. They were milk, eat and more. I even went as far as to sign up for the baby sign language course at Tumbling Tykes and we have been to only 1 of those classes so far (although to be honest with 8 kids in the class it is more crawling around time than signing time since none of the kids are focusing on the 1 instructor as she tries to teach multiple signs in one class.) Since I knew they were not getting much if anything out of the class, I kinda dropped it at home due to lack of time and the fact that I am not there all day to reinforce the signs over and over and that is how it is supposed to work....reinforcement and consistency. However, to my surprise I got a phone call from Grandma Kees this morning saying that Ava just signed milk. Grandma knew this because Ava was being fussy and started to do the sign for milk and Grandma realized oops she had forgotten to give her milk before going straight to her breakfast. So Ava kept her on track on a Monday morning by telling her what she wanted! Crazy to think she picked that up so quickly and not only remembered it but realized when to use it. Go Miss Ava! Now if we teach her the word cookie, we are going to be in trouble :)