Tuesday, June 9, 2009

1st Airpline Ride






The girls took their first flight this past weekend to attend their cousin Ryan's 2nd birthday party. Overall, the girls were wonderful despite some unplanned issues. We had two flights each way so 4 flights total and I would say 3 went very well. On the 4th, we crashed and burned for sure and if someone could have thrown us over the side of the plane they would have.

On the way down, we survived getting to the airport way too early (left house at 9:45 for a 11:45 flight)..after 5 minutes in security were waiting and waiting which is not fun for kids. I did have to go through the puffer for the first time since I was carrying ice packs...too funny! Plus, the girls had to have their juice tested and remove their shoes...apparently they are grooming terrorists at young ages these days? Then after arriving in DC, we were delayed 4 hours in a packed airport. Isabelle had a little accident when I was changing her so I thanked the lord that I did bring a change of clothes with me in the diaper bag. Sometimes being so type A pays off. However, after daddy spilled a coke all over and then having to change both girls (yes, both girls even though Belle was the only one wet...they had to arrive in matching outfits) I had been to the bathroom like 6 times in 1/2 hour and was exhausted. When Dave asked why I was out of breath and sweating, I could have killed him. Don't dads get, unless they change diapers in restrooms they can't comment. Not to mention it was not once but multiple times.

Then lucky for us, a nice airport attendant moved us to another flight when our original plane had mechanical issue and she saw that we had been waiting for hours. She told us that our plane was probably not going to go out so we better get on this other one but our luggage might not make it right away. Miracles do happen cause she did get it pulled and it was there for us which was key. So we finally arrive in NC that night, diapers soaked and all! Not even the overnights they had on could make it through. One great part about flying with twins though is that on the way down I got to sit with a free seat next to me on both flights since apparently there are not enough oxygen units on the left side of the plane to accommodate an infant and two passengers so if infants are on your laps then then no one sits next to you....good deal!

Then on the way back, we ended up flying out in the evening as we had a 7:10 departure. First flight was smooth, thanks to some magazines and flash cards. The 2nd flight only had a 1 yr lay over before we boarded so it looked like smooth sailing. We were on the 2nd flight for about 1/2 hr with no problems when Belle suddenly began screaming......not good! There was nothing I could do to soothe her...so for the remaining 1/2 hr she sounded like I was torturing her. Needless to say, the passengers on that flight did not get a little shut eye. D, in the meantime had Ava sleeping on him so I drew the short straw for sure. However, besides being totally embarrassed, I felt so bad for her since she obviously was in pain (guessing her ears). When we got off the plane she basically had exhausted herself and passed out in Grandpa Kees's arms when he picked us up. And of course it does not end there, we came home to a dead car battery....oh well....we survived and all in all it went pretty well. The girls even got comments on the 1st 3 flights of how well behaved they were so I think that cancels out the 4th flight in my mind.